Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Steam support with namesake turrets

(The title will make sense eventually!)

After a bit of bartering and swapping, I acquired a Corgi 1:50 Sentinel steam lorry. Now a few folks over in the VBCW forums have been sticking bits of plasticard ‘armour’, guns and the like to these lorries to provide some armoured support for their forces, so I decided to do something similar.

However the lorry I acquired looked far too nice to plaster with plasticard, so I decided to go with a more home-made look, leaving the original model as it was (except for a bit of drybrushed ‘distressing’).


As you can see, it’s a flat-bed lorry, so I needed something to go on the back of it. Some cardboard, tape and a load of dressmakers pins later and I had myself an impromptu metal container, pressed into service as an improvised personnel carrier. So I had my armour, but what about the arms?


Now a couple of days after receiving the lorry, I also received a couple of resin turrets, made by the genius that is ‘6mil Phil’. He had named this particular model the ‘Price’ turret, named after me; so I had to get a couple!


One of the turrets came without a hatch, so I had to put someone in there to fill the hole – luckily I had just the figure lying around: an ECW artillery officer left over from my Roaring Meg piece. After cutting him off at the waist, filing down his cavalier hair and swapping his floppy hat for a tin helmet, he did the trick nicely.


All that was left was to stick the turrets on top of the container; add some biro tube for cannons and voilĂ ! One improvised steam powered personnel carrier and support vehicle, ready to trundle into service. The rear of the vehicle is removable, so it can revert back to a simple flatbed lorry if need be, plus I have the option of adding other scratchbuilt stuff to the back!

6 comments:

  1. That's a beauty, Jon. Somehow the words "steam lorry" sum up VBCW vehicles perfectly! I love the Price turrets as well - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work sir, I always have the same dilemma the original model looks way to nice to paint over etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A work of genius mate! That is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.